Andrew Thomas Wiggin, more commonly known as Ender, is the main character in the Enderverse, with his first appearance being Ender's Game (Short Story). Born to John Paul and Theresa Wiggin, he was their third child. Andrew is sent to Battle School after beating the bully Stilson, as he was being observed by Hyrum Graff and Major Anderson.
At Battle School, Ender made friends with fellow launchies Shen and Alai. Later, after he was moved out of his launch group and into an army, he met Petra Arkanian. He made a fair few of enemies, mainly Bernard and Bonzo de Madrid. Ender went on to become commander of Dragon Army, be trained by Mazer Rackham, and later wins the war against the Formics.
Ender unknowingly committed Xenocide by destroying the Formic's planet, as he thought it was a simulation. Filled with grief, Ender attempts absolution, becoming the Speaker for the Dead, and telling the tale of the Formics in The Hive Queen. Leaving Earth behind with his sister, Valentine, Ender is forever remembered as the worst human being in history.
Before Battle School
Andrew Wiggin was born 1191 BSC to Theresa and John Paul Wiggin. He was their third child, his older siblings being Peter and Valentine. Theresa and John Paul were instructed to conceive a third child by the government to be half ruthless as Peter, but half empathetic as Valentine (both of whom were past Battle School candidates). During his youth, Valentine gave him the nickname "Ender" because she could not yet pronounce "Andrew".
His birth illustrated Peter's failure to fulfill a destiny in Battle School, and as a result he was abused mercilessly by Peter. Valentine always stood up for Ender during these conflicts. Peter would often force Ender to play Buggers and Astronauts, which usually resulted in Ender being beaten up.
Ender went to elementary school and was picked on for being a Third, as well as because he wore his monitor much longer than usual.
The day it was removed, he was tormented and bullied by a fellow elementary boy, Stilson. Upon going to the bus, he was stopped by Stilson and his crew; under self defense, he defeated Stilson. Stilson was hospitalized, and later died from his injuries. He was greeted by Hyrum Graff and Major Anderson in his home. Ender was told by Graff that he would be recruited for Battle School, as he had proven himself to be ruthless enough by defeating Stilson.
Ender is isolated on the flight to Battle School by Graff. His first enemy was Bernard, who bullied Shen often. He befriended Shen by standing up for him in an act against Bernard. Ender would later befriend Alai, who at the time was Bernard's best friend. This bridged the gap between Ender and Bernard, and the tensions between the two seem to relax. Before he can get used to the peace, he is transferred into Salamander Army, where he meets commander Bonzo Madrid.
Bonzo, thinking Ender would only hinder the effectiveness of his army in the Battle Room, bans Ender from participation in all battle practices, thus depriving him of the opportunity to learn how to fight in Zero-G.
Salamander's only female, Petra Arkanian, takes pity on him, and begins giving him private lessons during free time. Ender is later traded to Rat Army, where he meets commander Rose The Nose and toon leader Dink Meeker.
Time passes, and Ender is traded from army to army, including Petra's Phoenix Army. Ender starts training sessions during free time in the Battle Room, inviting various launches and members of other armies.
The Battle School staff also notices Ender's successes and gives him an army of his own. He becomes the commander of Dragon Army. Dragon Army's name had been retired because of its record of being an army that never won a battle. Ender was given 40 Battle Schoolers for his army, almost all of them being launchies; a few were veterans from other armies, but weren't very good. One of the launchies in his army gets the attention of Ender - Bean, who reminds Ender of himself at a younger age.
Ender's Dragon Army is undefeatable in the Battle Room, beating every single army they go up against. One of these armies is Salamander Army, commanded by Bonzo Madrid. After his defeat to Ender, he becomes infuriated. Many people caution Ender that his life is in danger, but he brushes it off.
When Bonzo and seven other boys, including Bernard, ambush Ender in the showers, Ender shames Bonzo into fighting him one on one and subsequently defeats him. Bonzo later dies from his injuries. Ender seems to know this despite the fact nobody has told him, and refuses to participate in Battle School any longer. He returns to Earth with
Graff, and lives on a lake for several weeks. Graff visits the Wiggin household, and requests that Valentine come with him to convince Ender to continue with Battle School. Valentine agrees, and visits Ender on the lake. She eventually convinces Ender to go on with his training, and he and Graff return to space.
Ender goes to Command School on the asteroid Eros. He is introduced to the simulator, where he is to "practice" commanding the Human Fleet heading to the Formic Homeworld. There, he meets Mazer Rackham, the war hero who defeated the Formics in the Second Invasion. He is taught about strategy, and how the Formics think.After practicing on the simulator alone for a few weeks, he begins to practice with his Jeesh, and assigns them certain commander roles on the simulator.The day of the "Graduation Battle", Ender and his Jeesh are faced against an insurmountable Formic fleet.
As soon as he realizes he cannot win, he makes the decision to use the Molecular Disruption Device on the Formic planet. This act destroys the planet and the Formic fleet. Ender and the Jeesh celebrate, as they believe they have just won their Graduation battle. He is then informed by Graff that the battle was in fact real, not a simulation. The realization that he had just annihilated a sentient species dawns upon Ender, and he passes out for 5 days. After everything calmed down, the International Fleet gave Ender the rank of Admiral, and offered him the position of governor of a colony. He accepts, and began preparing to leave on a starship to Colony 1, later renamed Shakespeare.
Valentine arrived at Eros and told Ender that it was she, as Demosthenes, who had seen to his assignment in the colonies and inability to return to Earth in order to keep him free from Peter and other governments that seeked to use him. She had come to Eros to join him on the first colony vessel. Ender loved Valentine and was glad to see her, but he had no idea that she and Peter had been so manipulative on the world stage.
Voyage to Shakespeare
As his colony ship departed from Earth, Ender met with the ship's commander, Admiral Quincy Morgan, and advised the officer that he would not interfere with any operations on the ship, making a point that he had no authority as governor until he arrived at Shakespeare. This was reassuring to Admiral Morgan, as he had been secretly planning to usurp Ender as governor when the ship reached its destination.
Ender spent his time on the ship getting to know the passengers who would soon be his fellow colonists; after all, if he is to be their governor, he wanted to know them as well as possible. Among them were Dorabella and Alessandra Toscano, a mother and daughter from Italy. Dorabella wanted her daughter, Alessandra, to marry Ender. Ender knew that was her intent, but did not betray this knowledge.
Ender, along with Dorabella and her daughter, planned a reading of Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew on board the ship. The play reading drew the anger of Admiral Morgan, bringing Ender and him into another confrontation.
Morgan believed Ender was plotting mutiny by holding the play reading, which he figured was just a clever cover up. He was more convinced of this when a large message from Earth interfered with the ship's communications. Morgan brought Ender to his office, and accused him of his supposed mutiny. The message, it turned out, was actually from Peter Wiggin to Valentine, updating her on Peter's rise to Hegemon of Earth.
Valentine arrived and explained the message to Morgan, who, embarrassed, allowed the play to go on, and even agreed to attend. During the play, Ender performed opposite Alessandra Toscano, which increased Alessandra's affection for the future governor.
Upon their arrival at Shakespeare, Ender interrupted Morgan's planned ceremony on the surface of Shakespeare and received a hero's welcome from the original colonists, who he had commanded during the Third Invasion. Ender gave Morgan a note from Hyrum Graff and the new Polemarch Bakossi Wuri warning Morgan not to interfere with Ender's position as both governor and a superior officer or he would face charges of mutiny upon his return to Earth. Morgan left Shakespeare defeated, and Ender began his duties as governor.
Ender also gave Alessandra the confidence to leave her mother on the spaceship and stay on Shakespeare, too. The two would never be lovers, but Alessandra was grateful to be free of her mother's influence forever.
Almost immediately after arriving at Shakespeare, Ender learned that a species of Formic-like creatures called Gold Bugs had been discovered. He was saddened to learn that there were no Formics on the world, or so he thought.
More comfortable in his position as governor, Ender wrote a letter to his aged parents. It was a heartfelt communication, the first he'd had with them since the age of six.
After two years on the planet, he learned from Hyrum Graff that a new colony ship was headed his way, diverted from their original route heading to Colony IX. He was instructed to find a new place on the planet for them to settle. Traveling with eleven-year-old Abra Tolo, Ender discovered a grassy hill. He recognized it as being created from the Mind Game. Ender explored the area, and discovered a Hive Queen cocoon, and he realized the Formics left it there for him to find. Ender could communicate with the Hive Queen mind-to-mind; he promised to care for the alien forever. He wrote a book about the Formic Wars from the perspective of the Formics. He published it under the alias, "Speaker for the Dead", and titled the book The Hive Queen. The book spread throughout the human worlds, and influenced people's opinions on Ender, changing his image from war hero to war criminal. Peter Wiggin, who realized who wrote the Hive Queen, and at this point has become Hegemon, sent a message to Valentine, asking "If he can speak for another species, he can speak for me". Ender and Peter spent hours in costly ansible video messages, where he learned the wrongs and rights of Peter's life. Ender wrote another book under the same alias, called The Hegemon.
At the request of Hyrum Graff, Ender and Valentine traveled from Shakespeare to Ganges, where a Battle School graduate, Virlomi, was governor. On the same planet lived a boy named Achilles Flandres II, who was the ninth embryo of Bean and Petra Arkanian. Achilles II had caused some problems for Ganges and its governor. During Ender and Valentine's journey, Ender had decided to stay in Stasis, while Valentine opted to write a history of Shakespeare colony. As of their arrival at Ganges, Ender sought out Achilles II, hoping to teach him about his real parents.
Ender discovered that it was Achilles II who had started a religious movement from The Hive Queen, and destroyed Ender's reputation. Their confrontation grew violent as Ender tried to tell Achilles II his true parentage. Achilles II was disgusted at the thought that his "father's" killer was his real father. Even though Achilles II nearly killed Ender during their confrontation, he came to accept that Ender was telling the truth. Achilles II changed his name to Arkanian Delphiki, after his real parents, Julian "Bean" Delphiki and Petra Arkanian.
Ender soon left Ganges to travel to others, with Valentine by his side, carrying the Hive Queen with hm. He began to discontinue the use of the name Ender, which was steadily becoming a sort of profanity due to his crime of Xenocide, and instead used his birth name, Andrew.
After Ender left Ganges, he and Valentine traveled to various planets including Helvetica and others not specified.
When Ender turns twenty, he has to start paying taxes to Starways Congress. He and Valentine disembark on the planet Sorelledolce to pay off his taxes. He meets the tax man Benedetto, who discovers his identity of Ender the Xenocide, and tries to expose him. Jane, the evolved computer intelligence, is looking out for Ender, and wipes Benedetto's computer so he cannot reveal Ender as a heinous war criminal. Jane then shows herself to Ender, and two form a friendship. After two weeks on the planet, Ender left the planet with Valentine and Jane. He listed his occupation as "Speaker for the Dead" from that time on, and eventually started wearing a small receiver in his ear that looked like a jewel - his link to Jane.
Speaker for the Dead
Three thousand years pass by the time of Speaker for the Dead. Andrew Wiggin, aged 35, has completely dropped the nickname "Ender", as the rest of humanity sees Ender Wiggin as a heinous war criminal who destroyed a harmless and peaceful species. However, Valentine and Jane call him Ender when no one else can hear. Andrew is living on the planet Trondheim with Valentine as a university teacher. He is living comfortably, as is Valentine, who has married a native of the planet named Jakt, and is pregnant with her first daughter. Ender hears about the death of a Xenologer on a planet named Lusitania, and receives call from a girl named Novinha on the same planet for a Speaker for the Dead. He made the decision to travel to Lusitania and Speak the death of Pipo, but left Valentine behind on Trondheim, as she did not want to leave her family.
Purchasing the starship Havelok, Andrew traveled to Lusitania. The duration of the flight was 22 years, but to him it was only a few weeks.
When Andrew arrived, he was received relatively coldly. The planet had a Catholic license, and the church had spoken out against Speakers for the Dead. The colony's governor Bosquinha greeted him, but had secretly banned him from access to the colony's maps. In the plaza, Andrew finds a boy, Olhado, who leads Andrew to the Ribeira house - the home of Novinha, who had called him to Speak.
There, he was treated quite badly by most of the children. However, the longer he was in their home, waiting to meet their mother Novinha, the more they warmed up to him.
His first meeting with Novinha did not go well, though. She was angry that he had come, even though she had cancelled her call for a Speaker soon after she sent it (after Andrew had already left), and tried to cast him from her house. Her children spoke up on Andrew's behalf, though, and Novinha listened to him, albeit angily.
The next day, he investigated the life of Marcos Ribeira, whom he had been requested to speak for as well after his departure. He found that Novinha had been unfaithful to her husband. With Jane's help, he learned it was Libo, her now-dead childhood friend and son of Pipo, who had fathered her six children.
Hoping for more information on Marcos and Novinha, Andrew visited the abbot of a Catholic order known as the Children of the Mind of Christ. During their conversation, Jane kept making comments about it; frustrated, Andrew turned off the jewel in his ear, shutting out her voice. Jane was insulted by this act and didn't talk to Andrew for a long time.
Though many of the Riberas held him in disdain, Andrew found he had established a particularly close rapport with Ela, who confided in him her hopes and dreams, and how Novinha had tried to quash them to preserve Ela's life.
When Andrew performed the Speaking for the late Marcos Ribera, he exposed Novinha and Libo's adultery. The revelation sent shock waves through the colony, but the surprise was short lived. Immediatly following the Speaking, Andrew learned that Starways Congress had stripped the Lusitanian computers of their files and revoked the planet's charter, due to the discovery that xenologers Miro Ribeira and Ouanda Figueira had gone against the Congress and gave the native Pequeninos technology that they had been forbidden to give. Andrew realized it had been Jane who had exposed the violations of law that resulted in the congressional actions.
Ender then settles down on the planet Lusitania and marries Novinha. Years later, when he goes Outside, he creates Peter Wiggin II and Valentine Wiggin II. Eventually, Ender dies, and his aiua leaves his body and gives Peter Wiggin II full control of his aiua.
Skills and Abilities
- Genius-level intellect: Ender is very well known for his intelligence and observation, and seeing ways around situations. Ender's knowledge led him to become a prodigy at Battle School.
- Skilled Hacker: Ender was skilled in hacking computers, and putting blocks and messages on other launchies' desk, most notably Bernard's.
- Leadership: Ender leads his team into the heart of the beast, working best when controlling large groups. He proves this by winning every single battle in Dragon Army, and defeating the Formics.
- Skilled Strategist: Ender invented various Battle Room strategies never seen before, and came up with solutions to no-win situations, like the Final Battle.
- Skilled Marksman: Ender wasn't at first a good shooter, but he was later taught by Petra and became an excellent shooter.
- Excelled Hand to Hand Combatant: Ender was skilled in hand to hand, using offense, defense and strategy to win battles. This is evidenced in his defeat of Stilson, using all his strength to defeat his enemy. He also used his environment as an aid, such as making his body slippery with water and soap when fighting Bonzo in the shower room.
Personality and Traits
- "You took away the monitor. I had to take care of myself, didn't I?"
- — Ender on why he defended himself against Stilson.
Ender is a very humble person, despite his enormous achievements and intellect.
When pushed or forced to defend himself, he had no qualms about injuring his enemy, and hurt them enough so that he would prevent future attacks, as illustrated with his defeat of the Formics. Noble, empathetic, generous, and strong willed, he was determined to win and beat those who stood in his way.
- Peter Wiggin - Ender and Peter's relationship was violent and strained. Peter, who lost his destiny to his ruthless acts would constantly attack his younger brother thought his childhood. When they both talked years later during Shadow of the Giant, Ender had forgiven Peter for his cruelty during childhood.
- Valentine Wiggin - The relationship was loving and strong, with Valentine always taking his side against their brother, Peter. After the war, they both traveled through the stars together and grew closer.
- Julian "Bean" Delphiki, Jr. - Bean was Ender's friend, strategist, and right-hand-man during their time at Battle School to defeat the Formics.
- Petra Arkanian - After joining Salamander Army, Ender mistook her as a boy like many. Though the interaction was with them at first, she did, however, offer to give Ender some extra training, and taught Ender how to use his gun to shoot, and several other Battle Room maneuvers. This drew the ire of Bonzo, who hated Ender. Petra would later have command of Phoenix Army, and the two became good friends. Petra later was part of Ender's Jeesh, but she was the commander Ender relied upon most, and she failed during a important battle.
- Dink Meeker - Dink was Ender's toon leader after he was traded to Rat Army, and was friendly to him when nobody else was. He later was a part of Ender's Jeesh and helped defeat the Formics.
- Hyrum Graff - Colonel Hyrum Graff was put in charge of finding children suitable for Battle School, including Ender Wiggin
- Mazer Rackham - The great war hero, Mazer Rackham was Ender's trainer during the Third Invasion.
- Bonzo - Ender and Bonzo became enemies from the start of Ender's Game, with Bonzo becoming his mortal enemy. Bonzo hated him with passion, wanting the new member of his army to be traded. Bonzo, wanting Ender dead, would attack him in the showers, leading to the two in a hand-to-hand battle with Bonzo being injured in the back of the head - a fatal injury. The Bonzo incident is pivotal in Ender's development, as it forces him to realize that he must fend for himself at all times, as the teachers refuse to offer him help—an attitude fostered by Graff.
- Bernard - Bernard was Ender's first enemy in Battle School, after Ender broke his arm on the shuttle to the school. After Alai became Ender's friend, tensions relaxed between the two, but Bernard was later seen as part of Bonzo's group as he attacked Ender in the shower.
- Stilson - Stilson was a bully in Ender's elementary school. An antagonist for Ender, his demise came from their final confrontation where Ender defeated Stilson (to stop all fights, so he could win all fights). Though Ender was glad he won the battle, he would feel a sense of sadness after being told Stilson died.
- When Peter used to abuse Ender, he would count in doubles until it ended.
- He was portrayed by Asa Butterfield in the Ender's Game movie.
- There were 20 children in Ender's launch group (Including Ender, Alai, and Shen).
- Petra mentions in Shadow of the Giant that Ender was named after Saint Andrew, one of the twelve apostles and brother to the apostle Simon Peter, whom Christ called "the rock on which I will build my church" (Matthew 16:18).
- Ender didn't like to touch other people.
- "Remember, the enemy's gate is down!" -- Ender's Game, Chapter 10, also Ender's Shadow, Chapter 13
- "Please don't disillusion me, I haven't had breakfast yet." -- Children of the Mind, Chapter 3
- "I don't think it has anything to do with truth, Olhado. It's just cause and effect. We never can sort them out. Science refuses to admit any cause except first cause - knock down one domino, the one next to it also falls. But when it comes to human beings, the only type of cause that matters is final cause, the purpose. What a person had in mind. Once you understand what people really want, you can't hate them anymore. You can fear them, but you can't hate them, because you can always find the same desires in your own heart." -- Speaker for the Dead, Chapter 18 (page 271 of 304)
- "It's good to hear your voice, Peter." -- Shadow of the Giant, Chapter 26
- "I can probably die now." -- Speaker for the Dead, Chapter 18
- In the moment when I truly understand my enemy. Understand him well enough to defeat him. Then in that very moment, I also love him. - Ender Wiggin