Graff was partially in charge of recruiting children for Battle School. This led him to watching Ender Wiggin's actions via the Monitor. After one final test, Graff realized that Ender was Battle School material and he took him to the orbiting station.
After Ender fought Bonzo Madrid, Graff went with Ender back to Earth for several months as Ender had given up on his Battle School education. Once his sister Valentine had convinced him to continue, he and Graff returned to space; but not back to Battle School - they were going to Command School on Eros.
Following Ender's defeat of the Formics, Graff was court martialed for his decisions at the Battle School, with the main case centering on his decision not to interfere with the fight between Ender and Bonzo Madrid. Graff successfully contended in his defense that all of his actions were necessary to ensure that Ender would be able to defeat the Formics, and was acquitted.
Later on, he was given the job of Minister of Colonization, and became one of the allies of Peter Wiggin and Bean in their struggles against Achilles de Flandres. He is also portrayed as a much more caring person, and more importantly, a strong advocate in establishing Peter as the true Hegemon over Earth.
- After he was fired from his job as Minister of Colonization, he ended up living to 100+ subjective years.
- He eats when he is stressed.
- Known E-Mail adresses - Graff%Pilgramage@colmin.gov, Graffemail@example.com, Grafffirstname.lastname@example.org
- "I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one. Or at least as close as we're going to get." --First line of Ender's Game
- "For a few minutes there, it actually occurred to me to wonder what kind of a man would heal a broken child of some of his hurt, just so he could throw him back into battle again. A little private moral dilemma. Please overlook it. I was tired." --Chapter 10, Ender's Game
- "Whoever is doing the bad things, that's the bad guy. You're the sheriff, sir, whether people approve of you or not. Do your job." --Chapter 23, Ender's Shadow
- Ender's Game
- Ender's Shadow
- Ender in Exile